Handi paneer is one of the mouth watering recipes. This special dish is famous in Punjab that is made up of yogurt and tomato in a creamy texture. The name handi paneer represents that the curry is prepared in clay pot. Handi is having less depth and wide bottomed pot. It is best for preparing biryani, pulav and curries. Lets see how to prepare handi paneer at home.
Preparing time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Ingredients required for restaurant style handi paneer
- Paneer – 200 grms
- Ghee – ½ cup
- Onions (large pieces) – 2 – 3
- Tomatoes – 4
- Green chillies (chopped) – 2
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tbsp
- Garam masala – ½ tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 2
- Fresh coriander leaves
Process of making handi paneer restaurant style
- Cut the paneer pieces into square shape. Beat the curd.
- Take a pan and heat the oil on medium flame. After oil getting hot add bay leaf and fry it.
- Add chopped onions in it and fry it for 1 minute.
- Add ginger in it. Fry the onions till brown in color. Fry it on medium flame.
- Now in this add chopped tomato pieces and green chillies.
- After 1 minute add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and curd. Mix it well and cook till the tomato become soft.
- When the mixture starts leaving the oil, add water and again cook it for a while.
- Check the thickness of gravy or consistency. Cook till the water becomes half.
- Now put the paneer pieces in this mixture and mix it well. Sprinkle the garam masala powder. Mix the paneer pieces slowly if not they may break.
- Cook it for sometime so that the masalas with stick to the paneer pieces. Check the pieces, if you think the curry needs to cook for few more minutes means add little water. Tasty handi paneer is ready to eat.
Suggestions and reviews for handi paneer
- For better taste cook this handi paneer in the clay pot.
- If required you can fry the paneer pieces and use it for curry.
- You can also add kasuri methi for good taste.
Best ways of serving
It is best served as a side with roti, paratha and butter nons. Garnish the dish with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot.