Khaja is a delicious Indian sweet item which is popular in the states of Andhra Pradesh, bihar and odisha. Lets learn how to make traditional khaja sweet at home. Khaja is prepared with all purpose flour or maida. Dipping the fried khajas in sugar syrup gives a nice crispy sweet taste. Adding cardamom powder in the sugar syrup adds a nice flavor to the khaja sweet. Khaja sweet is best called with different names in different places like kakinda khaja or kotayya khaja or madatha khaja or sweet kaja.
Ingredients required for making sweet khaja at home
- Refined flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1 tbsp
Step by step procedure of making khaja at home
- Take a cup of refined flour or maida in a bowl and add 2tbsp of butter. Mix the flour by adding little amount of water. Make smooth dough and keep this aside. Rest this for 5 minutes.
- Make small balls with this dough. Take a chapathi board and spread some dry flour powder on it.
- Make thin chapathis or rotis and roll from the corner. Cut into small pieces in size of kaja.
- Take a pan on the stove and add oil to it for deep fry.
- After oil is hot add khaja pieces in the oil and fry it till golden brown color. Keep them aside.
- Take another pan on stove and add cup of water. Add sugar in the boiling water and let the sugar melts.
- Add cardamom powder and make the sugar syrup ready. Collect it into a small ball.
- Dip the khaja pieces in this sugar syrup.
Tasty khaja sweet or madatha khaja sweet is ready to eat.