Do you want to try Hyderabadi veg dum biryani at home? Today we are giving the recipe of tasty vegetable biryani in hyderabadi style. Biryani is a Persian word, when in the Middle Ages it is an official language of mughals. The word biryani is derived from Persian word “brinj” that means rice. Other than this word it is also paired with word “biryani” that means bake. It is also associated with mughalai recipes. According to history it is also said that different varieties of biryanis are came to India along with mughalais. So till today in India along with southern states delhi, lucknow and west Bengal biryanis are prepared in different taste with different fragrances. Among all the biryanis, the hyderabadi biryani is having special place.
Hyderabadi vegetable biryani is prepared with different vegetables, rice and masalas powders. By keeping dum (heat) on medium flame this main course dish is done. Both vegetarians and non vegetarians are liked to eat this biryani. Lets see the easy and quick process of making hyderabadi dum biryani at home.
Preparing time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 1 to 1 ½ hour
Servings: 3 – 41 persons
Ingredients required for making hyderabadi vegetable biryani at home
- Basmathi ric – 400 grms
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2 – 3
- Turmeric powder – ½ tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmir red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Fresh curd or yogurt – 1 cup
- Cashews – ¼ cup
- Raisins – ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves (finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 ½ tbsp
- Saffron – 1 tbsp
- Cauliflower (flowers) – 1 cup
- Carrot – 2 big
- Green chillies – 4
- Capsicum – 2
- Green peas – ½ cup
- Beans – ½ cup
Ingredients for making biryani masala
- Bay leaves – 2
- Elachi (cardamom seeds) – 5
- Black cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 12
- Black pepper – 1tbsp
- Coriander – 5 tbsp
- Cumin – 2 tbsp
- Cumin – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 2 tbsp
- Star anise – 2
- Nut meg – 1
- Cinnamon stick
- Red chillies – 6
Process of making hyderabadi veg dum biryani
- For preparing hyderabadi vegetable biryani at home, we need to prepare something before starting the process. The dry spices which are mentioned above should be fried without oil lightly. Keep them a side so that the heat will go off. Then grind all the spices to make a fine paste. Keep this paste a side.
- We need to soak the basmathi rice for 30 minutes before preparing the biryani. Then soak the saffron in hot milk. Cut all the vegetables into long and thin pieces. Cut the onions too.
- Now lets cook the soaked basmathi rice. Take a vessel for cooking rice and add water in it. Let the water come to boil. Then add cumin, bay leaves, 1 tbsp of oil and little salt in hot water. Mix the saffron milk in it. Now add the soaked basmathi rice and cook it till 3/4. Drain the rice and keep the rice aside.
- For making the hyderabadi dum biryani, take a pan and add ghee and heat it. After ghee getting hot add onions and fry them on medium flame till they become golden brown in color. Take them into plate. In the same pan add cashews and raisins and fry them. Take out into plate. And in the leftover ghee add all the masala powders along with 2 tbsp of biryani masala. Cook the masalas on medium flame upto 10 – 15 seconds. You can smell the masalas nicely then put the curd and salt. Mix it well. Now add the vegetables and cook them on medium flame. Close the lid and cook the vegetables so that the vegetables will cook quickly.
- Now pick half of the cooked vegetables into separate plate because we are going to use the same vessel twice for cooking dum biryani.
- Spread the vegetables as a bottom layer and put ¾ cooked basmati rice on it as another layer. Then put the fried onion pieces, cashews and raisins. Sprinkle coriander leaves and mint leaves on it. Then this is the time to form another vegetable layer. Put the collected vegetables and make a layer. Same way add basmathi rice, onions, cashews, raisins and coriander mint leaves. Close the lid of the vessel tightly. Make the flame simmer and cook this for 15 – 20 mins. Turn off the flame and open the lid. Mix the vegetables and rice and serve it hot.
Suggestions and reviews for making Indian style vegetable dum biryani at home
- For making dum vegetable biryani at home we need to use the tight lid to close the vessel. Use the wet cloth for closing the vessel. By doing this, biryani will get nice dum or heat and it tastes great.
- Don’t cook the basmathi rice completely.
Best ways of serving hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani at home
This hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is best served with raitha or mirchi sauce.