Phirni is an Indian traditional sweet that is prepared with rice and it is also called as a rice pudding. We required milk, basmathi rice and sugar for making this Punjabi special khir or payasam or pudding sweet recipe. Phirni sweet is most likely prepared during festive time like diwali, holi and Ramzan. It is one of the famous sweets adapted from Punjab. People liked to prepare this phirni sweet in different styles like rose phirni, pistha phirni, badham or almond phirni, kesar phirni and many more. So lets see how to make phirni sweet at home.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 persons only
Ingredients required for making of summer special phirni sweet
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 liter
- Cardamom powder – 2 tbsp
- Cashews nuts or almonds (garnishing)
Procedure of making Punjabi rice phirni sweet recipe
- Soak the basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Grind this soaked rice to make a powder.
- Take a pan on stove and add grinded rice powder to it. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add sugar and mix it well. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and sauté for 10 more minutes.
- You can see the thick consistency of the phirni sweet. Now add cardamom powder and mix it well. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and collect this Punjabi rice phirni sweet into serving bowl and garnish with kesar, almonds and cashews. You can also add dry fruits according to your taste on the top.
Suggestions and reviews for making of rice phirni
- For making phirni in the form of dessert you can grind the rice in thick and thin coarse.
- After adding milk in rice powder stir continuously if not you can see the rice lumps.
- If the phirni is thick you can add hot milk to give a correct consistency to this sweet item.
- Use big vessel for cooking this Punjabi rice phirni sweet.
Best ways of serving Punjabi phirni recipe
You can add sugar according to your taste. Garnish this phirni sweet recipe with almonds, kesar or cashews before serving.