Carrot halwa or gajar halwa is a popular Indian dessert that is prepared for all happy occasions. It is easy to make gajar halwa or carrot halwa at home. It is made with fresh grated carrots and milk. Sugar is the item that brings sweetness to this carrot halwa. Use fresh and tasty ghee for making of carrot halwa to get better taste. This dessert pudding is garnished with raisins, cashews and almonds. For more taste we added muskmelon seeds too. Step by step process of making Gajar ka halwa or Gajar halwa or carrot halwa is given below. You can also check the video of Gajar halwa or carrot halwa @ howtomake.
Ingredients required for making gajar halwa or carrot halwa at home
- Ghee – ½ cup
- Grated carrot or gajar – 2 cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Elachi powder – 1 tbsp
- Almonds or badam
- Muskmelon seeds
- Saffron strands
Procedure of making carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa at home
- Take a pan on the stove and give a medium flame. Add ghee to it.
- Now add chopped almonds and cashew nuts. Fry for 2 minutes. Collect them and keep a side.
- In the same hot pan add grated gajar or carrot and sauté for 10 minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Now add milk and sauté for 2 minutes. Cook for 5 minutes by closing the vessel with lid.
- Add main ingredient sugar to this carrot milk mixture. Finally add 1 tbsp of ghee and cardamom powder. Mix it well.
- Garnish this sweet dish with fried cashews, almonds and muskmelon seeds.