Bottle gourd vegetable is beneficial to health that helps in reducing the weight and controls the risk factor of stomach diseases. The water content and minerals are rich in bottle gourd vegetable. It is very useful for health to eat this bottle gourd vegetable.
But some people doesn’t like to eat this healthy bottle gourd vegetable because of its odor. There is no vegetable that is having these many health benefits like bottle gourd. Try to taste this bottle gourd koftas / balls by preparing it at home. This is completely a new pattern of cooking bottle gourd vegetable. The best time to eat bottle gourd is during winter season. Lets see the process of making lauki ke kofte or bottle gourd koftas at home.
Preparing time: 40 – 50 mins
Cooking time: 25 – 30 mins
Servings: 4 persons
Ingredients required for making bottle gourd kofta / balls
- Grated bottle gourd – 2 cups
- Gram flour – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 4 (finely chopped)
- Garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Red chillies
- Oil (for fry)
Ingredients required for making masalas for bottle gourd kofta
- Onion (grated) – 1
- Tomatoes – 2 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander powder
- Cashews (finely chopped)
Process of making bottle gourd kofta
- Firstly take the bottle gourd, peel and grate it nicely. Squeeze the juice from bottle gourd grate and keep that juice aside. Mix the obtained bottle gourd grate with gram flour. Add red chilli powder, finely chopped green chillies, garam masala and salt. Mix it well by adding required amount of water. This is the mixture we need to fill in the koftas or balls of bottle gourd. After mixing it keep this a side for 10 – 15 minutes by closing the lid.
- Now we need to fry the kofta or bottle gourd mixture balls. So for that take a non stick bottom pan and oil to it. Let the oil get hot on medium flame. Meanwhile make the balls with bottle gourd mixture by taking little amount into hand. After making the balls leave them in the hot oil. Fry the balls on medium flame. Do it for remaining mixture and fry the balls or koftas nicely in golden brown color.
- Take other pan or you can use same pan by removing excess oil because we doesn’t need much oil for preparing masala for koftas or balls. Now add cumin seeds and fry it for few seconds. Now add ginger garlic paste and cook it. Put chopped cashew nut pieces and fry it. Add grated onions and stir it well till the raw smell over. Now add all dry spices and cook it on low flame. Add tomato puree and salt. Mix it well.
- Add 1 cup of bottle gourd juice and required amount of water in it. Give a high flame and let the juice boil. While boiling add the fried koftas or balls in this. Cook it for some more time. Garnish the dish with fresh green coriander leaves and turn off the flame. Tasty and yummy bottle gourd koftas or balls ready to eat.
Suggestions and reviews for bottle gourd kofta / balls
- After grating the bottle gourd drain the juice and keep it aside. This juice is having rich health benefits. Don’t through the bottle gourd juice because it is used in making of gravy.
- While making of bottle gourd koftas or balls, cashew nuts are added because this gives a good taste. Instead of cashews you can also use poppy seeds.
Best ways of serving bottle gourd kofta curry
This louki kofta curry or bottle gourd kofta / balls curry is best served as a side with chapathi, rice and roti. Garnish the dish by adding green coriander leaves and serve it hot.