Veg momos is the recipe that is prepared on steam heat. These veg momos are especially prepared in the border areas of Tibet and Nepal. It is a very interesting dish that is best eaten by both veg and non vegetarian people. These veg momos are filled with vegetable stuff so it is having rich proteins and more delicious. We can easily find these veg momos even in big cities and most liked by children and adults.
Veg moms are best served with red sauce and white sauces. These side sauces will add more taste to the momos. Lets see how to prepare veg momos at home with our recipe.
Preparing time: 25 – 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 – 30 mins
Servings: 4 persons
Ingredients required for making veg momos at home
- Maida (all purpose flour) – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cabbage (grated) – 1 cup
- Carrot (grated) – ¾
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Green chillies (chopped) – 2
- Garlic and ginger (chopped)
- Black pepper powder – 2 tbsp
- Soya sauce
- Warm water
Process of making veg momos recipe
- Take a maida or all purpose flour and add salt and oil. Mix it well by adding warm water. Make smooth dough and close it with lid. Keep this aside.
- For filling the momos we need to grate vegetables. Take a pan, add oil and heat it. After oil is hot at finely chopped green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Cook it for few seconds so that raw smell is over. Now add finely chopped onions. Cook the onions while stirring frequently. Now add grated vegetables and cook it on medium flame for 3 – 4 minutes. Fry the carrot and cabbage lightly so that the momos give good fragrance. No need of cooking the vegetables too much. Just cook them for 8 – 10 minutes on medium flame. Finally add the soya sauce and sprinkle black pepper powder. Mix it well and turn off the flame.
- For making of momos outer layer we will consider the mixed dough or maida dough. Make small balls using dough. With the help of dry all purpose flour or maida flour make the thin pooris (or small chapathi or roti shape) with this dough. Now put the cooked vegetable mixture in between them and fold it all sides so that the vegetable filling should not come out. Follow the same for remaining momos.
- For cooking the momos take a bottom pan and add water in it. You can also use the momos vessel if you don’t have momos vessel take water in a pan and boil the water. Put a stand in it. Place the prepared momos in the steel vessel and place it in the boiling water vessel on the top of the stand. Close it. Cook it for 10 – 15 minutes on medium flame and turn off the flame. Serve it hot.
Suggestions and reviews for veg momos recipe
- Momos outer layer should be very thin so that it will make the cooking process easy.
- For filling the momos you can even add the other vegetables according to your taste. You can also add paneer pieces for making the momos.
Best ways of serving veg momos
Serve the veg hot momos with red sauce, red chili and tomato sauce.